MedCapsules Forum
High Heart Rate/BP After Acupuncture and Swollen Stomach - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: High Heart Rate/BP After Acupuncture and Swollen Stomach (/showthread.php?tid=3379)

High Heart Rate/BP After Acupuncture and Swollen Stomach - Swede - 08-10-2012 02:50 PM

Hi James!!!

First of all, I'm so glad you have your own board and I hope you are well!!

Here's the problem(s)...

As you know, I quit smoking cold turkey in April while still having adrenal fatigue, the withdrawals were kinda nasty and not helpful for weak adrenals but, glad I quit Smile

Since then, my stomach started to get swollen, I mean, it looks like I am six months pregnant at times and it doesn't correlate to any foods, it will do it when I haven't had food. I did some research and found other people that this happens to, some that said acupuncture helped to get it back to normal. I made an appointment with an acupuncturist and went on Tuesday. He said I had weakness in the kidneys/adrenals/thyroid and liver, too much heat and blood sugar problems.

He said he was going to do the 12 meridians, put the needles in and left the room. There were two needles in my left arm, one in the underside of my forearm and one in my hand, both hurt like hell, the one in my arm so much that I asked him to come back in the room after a few minutes. He said it hurt because it was between two tendons and took the needle out. I relaxed some then but, after a bit, my body tensed and it was not relaxing at all.

That night, I didn't feel great but not horrible. The next morning, look out. I woke up after five or so hours of sleep, my norm for a while now but have usually been able to dose back off in a lighter sleep, not this time. My heart rate went way up as I laid in bed, I got up, took some magnesium and laid back down. I got way over heated, the adrenaline was pouring through my body, muscles cramped, five unpleasant trips to the bathroom, finally after about two hours, it settled down. The evening was better, not wired, heart rate not crazy but wiped out from the morning and most of the day.

Next morning, same flippin thing happened, ugh! This time, I took my BP, HR and temps. Temps in the morning were low, average 97 or so, afternoons were either low or too high, fluctuating. BP which is normally around 112/74 for me has been higher, 128/84 average and heart rate high around 110-117 or so.

I looked up the 12 meridians, the one in my left arm was for the heart and the one in my hand hurt as well. It left red rings about 1/4 inch thick around where the needles were, he said that was "good chi" which I don't know if that is true or not.

Magensium, calcium, potassium, lecithin, vitamin C, nothing slows it down in the morning, it happens within five minutes of me waking but I feel fine when I wake, then it starts. It was a bit less today, is there anything you can think of that I can do? I'm thinking this is adrenaline and I need to neutralize it so it doesn't whack me like this.

The swollen stomach, we can work on that another time or if you have an idea why, l would greatly appreciate your suggestions Smile I also gained weight over the last few months, I did consume more calories at first but not enough to justify the amount of weight.

Thank you as always!

Lisa
Wanted to mention, I have tried eating when this happens in the morning, doesn't do much to help. I thought maybe it was blood sugar dropping and then the surge of adrenaline from the brain not getting the glucose it wanted but food should settle it down.

One time in the past, ready for the irony? I went to a woman who uses laser acupuncture to help you stop smoking. Same darn thing happened, I felt tense during and my heart rate went up for days after, when I asked the woman why, she said she didn't know...now comes the irony. I went to the acupuncturist that I just had the appointment with on Tuesday for his opinion on why that happened, he said it was because she stimulated the heart meridian. I think he did the same darn thing, I need to get this adrenaline calmed down so I can get my body and muscles to relax.

Thanks again, James!!

RE: High Heart Rate/BP After Acupuncture and Swollen Stomach - James - 08-17-2012 08:31 AM

(08-10-2012 02:50 PM)Swede Wrote:  Hi James!!!

First of all, I'm so glad you have your own board and I hope you are well!!

Thanks Lisa. Glad to see you here. Things are pretty good. Real busy and not getting much sleep taking care of my business partner's dad, but he is slowly getting stronger every day, which is making things much easier.

Here's the problem(s)...

As you know, I quit smoking cold turkey in April while still having adrenal fatigue, the withdrawals were kinda nasty and not helpful for weak adrenals but, glad I quit Smile

I am glad you finally quit as well. I know it is rough quitting. They say cigarettes are more addictive than heroin. But you will find things are so much better in the long run. You will have more energy, food will smell and taste better, etc. Congratulations on finally quitting.

Since then, my stomach started to get swollen, I mean, it looks like I am six months pregnant at times and it doesn't correlate to any foods, it will do it when I haven't had food.

If it is only at times I would think this is more of a gas bloating rather than fat. Have you tried a good fiber supplement to get things moved out of the intestines? They are probably used to being stimulated by the nicotine.

I did some research and found other people that this happens to, some that said acupuncture helped to get it back to normal. I made an appointment with an acupuncturist and went on Tuesday. He said I had weakness in the kidneys/adrenals/thyroid and liver, too much heat and blood sugar problems.

The adrenals and liver are going to be the main blood sugar regulators in this list. And we know the adrenals are going to be shot from the smoking and the cortisol from the adrenals cause the liver to release glycogen raising blood sugar. In some cases this could lead to rebound hypoglycemia.

He said he was going to do the 12 meridians, put the needles in and left the room. There were two needles in my left arm, one in the underside of my forearm and one in my hand, both hurt like hell, the one in my arm so much that I asked him to come back in the room after a few minutes. He said it hurt because it was between two tendons and took the needle out. I relaxed some then but, after a bit, my body tensed and it was not relaxing at all.

That night, I didn't feel great but not horrible. The next morning, look out. I woke up after five or so hours of sleep, my norm for a while now but have usually been able to dose back off in a lighter sleep, not this time. My heart rate went way up as I laid in bed, I got up, took some magnesium and laid back down. I got way over heated, the adrenaline was pouring through my body, muscles cramped, five unpleasant trips to the bathroom, finally after about two hours, it settled down. The evening was better, not wired, heart rate not crazy but wiped out from the morning and most of the day.

I don't know much about acupuncture so I don't know if this had anything to do with it.

Next morning, same flippin thing happened, ugh! This time, I took my BP, HR and temps. Temps in the morning were low, average 97 or so, afternoons were either low or too high, fluctuating. BP which is normally around 112/74 for me has been higher, 128/84 average and heart rate high around 110-117 or so.

Sounds like an adrenal issue, which can affect the thyroid, blood pressure and pulse rate. Epinephrine (adrenaline) is what speeds up the heart and it will raise blood pressure.

I looked up the 12 meridians, the one in my left arm was for the heart and the one in my hand hurt as well. It left red rings about 1/4 inch thick around where the needles were, he said that was "good chi" which I don't know if that is true or not.

Magensium, calcium, potassium, lecithin, vitamin C, nothing slows it down in the morning, it happens within five minutes of me waking but I feel fine when I wake, then it starts. It was a bit less today, is there anything you can think of that I can do? I'm thinking this is adrenaline and I need to neutralize it so it doesn't whack me like this.

Either a natural beta blocker like ashwagandha or something to increase GABA, like glycine, would be my recommendations. These are best taken on an empty stomach and I recommend three times daily, not just when it happens. And anything else you can do to support your adrenals, which are over reacting.

The swollen stomach, we can work on that another time or if you have an idea why, l would greatly appreciate your suggestions Smile I also gained weight over the last few months, I did consume more calories at first but not enough to justify the amount of weight.

Weight gain is common after someone stops smoking, but that can be dealt with easy enough later on. As far as the stomach it is still most likely bloating so a good fiber source, not psyllium though since this can cause bloating.

Thank you as always!

You're welcome.

Lisa
Wanted to mention, I have tried eating when this happens in the morning, doesn't do much to help. I thought maybe it was blood sugar dropping and then the surge of adrenaline from the brain not getting the glucose it wanted but food should settle it down.

Hypoglycemia is a big issue when smokers try quitting so that was really good thinking. Something else that may help would be glutamine instead of glycine. Glutamine will also raise GABA and it can be used by the brain as a fuel substitute for glucose.

One time in the past, ready for the irony? I went to a woman who uses laser acupuncture to help you stop smoking. Same darn thing happened, I felt tense during and my heart rate went up for days after, when I asked the woman why, she said she didn't know...now comes the irony. I went to the acupuncturist that I just had the appointment with on Tuesday for his opinion on why that happened, he said it was because she stimulated the heart meridian. I think he did the same darn thing, I need to get this adrenaline calmed down so I can get my body and muscles to relax.

Thanks again, James!!

Beta blockers like ashwagandha prevent the over release of epinephrine from the adrenals. Strengthening the adrenals in particular will also help, but use non-stimulating adaptogens. So no American licorice root or rhodiola (Arctic root). And the glycine or glutamine will raise GABA, which will calm down the nervous system.