MedCapsules Forum
URGENT- newborn jaundice - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: URGENT- newborn jaundice (/showthread.php?tid=3632)

URGENT- newborn jaundice - Bethanyds - 01-07-2013 10:24 AM

Hi James,

We had our baby 4 weeks early. Long story short, we kept going to the doctor due to his yellow skin and they reassured us he was fine. Come to find out finally, his bilirubin levels were very high and we caught it after it would have peaked. His levels are now coming down after being on the lamps for several days, but I'm concerned that brain damage may have occured. He appears fine now, and passed the hearing screening but if other damage occured we wouldn't notice it until he would begin to sit up, make eye contact, walk, etc. What can I do in the meantime? I'm nursing him and am taking TMG, is there anything else that can help him neurologically?

Thank you.

RE: URGENT- newborn jaundice - James - 02-01-2013 12:06 AM

(01-07-2013 10:24 AM)Bethanyds Wrote:  Hi James,

We had our baby 4 weeks early. Long story short, we kept going to the doctor due to his yellow skin and they reassured us he was fine. Come to find out finally, his bilirubin levels were very high and we caught it after it would have peaked. His levels are now coming down after being on the lamps for several days, but I'm concerned that brain damage may have occured. He appears fine now, and passed the hearing screening but if other damage occured we wouldn't notice it until he would begin to sit up, make eye contact, walk, etc. What can I do in the meantime? I'm nursing him and am taking TMG, is there anything else that can help him neurologically?

Thank you.

You are doing what you should be doing. Nursing is the most important since breast milk is a great source of fatty acids that help with brain development. If you can find some EPA/DHA concentrate you can supplement your baby with this to help further.