Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
kefir
JC73 Offline

kefir
Why does kefir cuase me yo have GERD?The only thing I can think of is the sugar in the commercial kefir..... or is it something else?
07-16-2012 06:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarciGal Offline

RE: kefir
I find if I drink too much of it, it tends to 'backup' a bit on me. I mean, too much in one sitting not overall. Sometimes starting slowly and in small amounts helps that.

If you're already a regular milk kefir drinker, try 'cutting' it with OJ or some other thinner liquid. I don't think water would make it better, but any fruit juice ... berry, citrus, pineapple, apple ... might help too, esp. pineapple or apple. Even a tart juice like unsweetened cherry or cranberry might also be nice. I've tried many things like this.

Just a thought.

Marci

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
07-16-2012 09:34 AM
James Offline
Administrator

RE: kefir
(07-16-2012 06:05 AM)JC73 Wrote:  Why does kefir cuase me yo have GERD?The only thing I can think of is the sugar in the commercial kefir..... or is it something else?

It is most likely the sugar in the kefir. Commercial kefirs tend to have a higher sugar content added for flavoring. Otherwise the kefir would be rather tart from the acids. That sugar can be fermented in the stomach leading to gas formation that in turn can lead to reflux.

I generally let my commercial kefirs sit in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks to allow more of the sugar to be fermented. This will form gases that expand the bottle so it is a good idea to open the bottle once in a while to release the gas.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-18-2012 01:55 AM