Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bite or staph infection in 5 yo?
Diana6 Offline

Music Bite or staph infection in 5 yo?
Hi James,
My daughter has had what looks like a mosquito bite (we have lots of mosquitoes around here) on her lower leg since yesterday. It's been itchy of course, but the funny thing is, now it's weeping fluid from the center. It's not a terribly thick fluid - clearish looking, although it dries as a light yellow on her bandaid (placed to keep her from scratching it). I've been keeping it covered since she got it yesterday so that she wouldn't scratch it and cause an infection. When I first started putting on a band-aid, there was no weeping. I point this out only to say that I don't think her scratching has opened up or created the wound.

Of course, I fear a staph infection or something.

I have a number of essential oils from BeYoung and NOW. I've been using them since yesterday. I have some blends and some single oils. I also have Neosporin, but I never use that anymore. Hydrogen peroxide stings terribly.

The bite's not terribly swollen, although it seems more red around the bite area today. Maybe a 1/2 dollar-sized area.

Maybe a spider bite? We live in Utah. She has no other systemic symptoms.

If I take her to the Dr., then I have to deal with his suggestions of antibiotics and such. But I'll do what I should do.

Thanks from a worried mom,
Diana
07-30-2012 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Bite or staph infection in 5 yo?
(07-30-2012 10:21 AM)Diana6 Wrote:  Hi James,
My daughter has had what looks like a mosquito bite (we have lots of mosquitoes around here) on her lower leg since yesterday. It's been itchy of course, but the funny thing is, now it's weeping fluid from the center. It's not a terribly thick fluid - clearish looking, although it dries as a light yellow on her bandaid (placed to keep her from scratching it). I've been keeping it covered since she got it yesterday so that she wouldn't scratch it and cause an infection. When I first started putting on a band-aid, there was no weeping. I point this out only to say that I don't think her scratching has opened up or created the wound.

I have a number of essential oils from BeYoung and NOW. I've been using them since yesterday. I have some blends and some single oils. I also have Neosporin, but I never use that anymore. Hydrogen peroxide stings terribly.

The bite's not terribly swollen, although it seems more red around the bite area today. Maybe a 1/2 dollar-sized area.

If I take her to the Dr., then I have to deal with his suggestions of antibiotics and such. But I'll do what I should do.

Diana

Hi Diana,

Something you can try is to take a raw potato. I like the red ones best but any raw potato will work. Grate a little of the inside "meat" of the potato and pack it over the area. You will have to wrap it with some guaze to hold it in place. Leave it on there for a few hours then remove. You can repeat this if necessary.

Raw potato is one of the best drawing poultices there is so it can help draw out an infection. It should help soothe the bite as well.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-30-2012 10:26 AM
Diana6 Offline

Thank you James. That was a fast reply! I will try the potato. I remember you've recommended that.

Any thoughts on the essential oils or any other antiseptic?

Diana

(07-30-2012 10:26 AM)James Wrote:  [quote='Diana6' pid='4733' dateline='1343665280']
Hi James,

Diana

Hi Diana,

Something you can try is to take a raw potato. I like the red ones best but any raw potato will work. Grate a little of the inside "meat" of the potato and pack it over the area. You will have to wrap it with some guaze to hold it in place. Leave it on there for a few hours then remove. You can repeat this if necessary.

Raw potato is one of the best drawing poultices there is so it can help draw out an infection. It should help soothe the bite as well.

Thank you James. That was a fast reply! I will try the potato. I remember you've recommended that on other threads.

Diana
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 10:39 AM by Diana6.)
07-30-2012 10:36 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-30-2012 10:36 AM)Diana6 Wrote:  Thank you James. That was a fast reply!

Luckily I had to get up to help with someone I am helping to take care of right now. Otherwise I would be sound asleep. This is the middle of my night. But I decided to check messages really quick for this reason, in case there is any emergency type questions.

I will try the potato. I remember you've recommended that.

Most essential oils are highly antiseptic, but they can also be irritating especially on an open sore. I would go with the potato first then let it dry over for an hour before applying any oil. If I were to go with an essential oil in this case I would use clove oil diluted with a base oil like olive oil. Mixing a drop of each would be good. Clove is not only one of the most powerful antiseptic oils, it is also an excellent analgesic.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-30-2012 10:51 AM