Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Syncope or ?
mtl777 Offline

Syncope or ?
Once in a blue moon I feel dizzy for a split second as if I'm going to faint. I react to this by trying to focus and be alert, and it goes away as fast as it comes, then everything is back to normal. I don't have shortness of breath or palpitations, just a sudden and very short dizzy spell that I immediately recover from. Is this syncope or what? Is it a cause for concern? If so, what do you suggest to deal with it? BTW my BP is 110/70.

Thanks very much!
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 03:23 PM by mtl777.)
08-31-2012 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Syncope or ?
(08-31-2012 04:25 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Once in a blue moon I feel dizzy for a split second as if I'm going to faint. I react to this by trying to focus and be alert, and it goes away as fast as it comes, then everything is back to normal. I don't have shortness of breath or palpitations, just a sudden and very short dizzy spell that I immediately recover from. Is this syncope or what? Is it a cause for concern? If so, what do you suggest to deal with it? BTW my BP is 110/70.

Thanks very much!

Being so sudden and so short in duration it sounds like you are having short durations of drops in your blood pressure, but not quite syncope.

You did not mention if this is happening when you suddenly stand up or not. If this is the case then this is known as orthostatic hypotension and results from poor adrenal function.

One other possibility is if your neck is out of alignment. This could cause a very short spell of dizziness as the arteries in the neck get pinched causing a temporary shortage of blood to the brain. If you look forward then feel up both sides of the neck at the same time both sides should feel identical. If the neck is out you should feel a bulge on one side or both sides of the neck.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
10-27-2012 10:36 PM
mtl777 Offline

RE: Syncope or ?
(10-27-2012 10:36 PM)James Wrote:  
Being so sudden and so short in duration it sounds like you are having short durations of drops in your blood pressure, but not quite syncope.

You did not mention if this is happening when you suddenly stand up or not. If this is the case then this is known as orthostatic hypotension and results from poor adrenal function.

One other possibility is if your neck is out of alignment. This could cause a very short spell of dizziness as the arteries in the neck get pinched causing a temporary shortage of blood to the brain. If you look forward then feel up both sides of the neck at the same time both sides should feel identical. If the neck is out you should feel a bulge on one side or both sides of the neck.

Thanks James! It happens when I'm sitting with my right thigh on top of my left thigh and I have my right elbow on my right knee with my right arm vertical and supporting my chin as if in a "thinking" position. I don't feel any bulge on one or both sides of my neck.
10-29-2012 03:27 PM