Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Herbs Caused Gastroparesis?
ijijij Offline

Herbs Caused Gastroparesis?
Hi James,

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with H. Pylori (via stool antigen test), and I began taking various antimicrobial herbs. Mastic gum, olive leaf, chaparral, pau d'arco, oil of oregano, monolaurin, etc. After a month, my digestion suddenly became worse, and it's stayed that way for the past year.

I developed gastroparesis. I don't have any pain or nausea or reflux or bloating. I can get food into my stomach with any problem, but once the food is there, it takes a really long time to leave. Because it takes so long for my food to move through, I'm not able to eat sufficient calories, and I've lost 25 pounds in the past year. The problem seems to be local to my stomach, since I don't have any intestinal issues, and my bowel movements are fine.

I'm trying to figure out a way to remedy this, but I haven't been able to come up with any ideas as to how the herbs could have caused such a problem. The only possibility I can think of is that my stomach was sensitive to the particular combination and there was some sort of physical damage.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Can you think of any mechanism by which herbs could have caused gastroparesis that didn't resolve after discontinuing the herbs?

Thanks!
12-22-2012 05:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JC73 Offline

RE: Herbs Caused Gastroparesis?
(12-22-2012 05:42 PM)ijijij Wrote:  Hi James,

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with H. Pylori (via stool antigen test), and I began taking various antimicrobial herbs. Mastic gum, olive leaf, chaparral, pau d'arco, oil of oregano, monolaurin, etc. After a month, my digestion suddenly became worse, and it's stayed that way for the past year.

I developed gastroparesis. I don't have any pain or nausea or reflux or bloating. I can get food into my stomach with any problem, but once the food is there, it takes a really long time to leave. Because it takes so long for my food to move through, I'm not able to eat sufficient calories, and I've lost 25 pounds in the past year. The problem seems to be local to my stomach, since I don't have any intestinal issues, and my bowel movements are fine.

I'm trying to figure out a way to remedy this, but I haven't been able to come up with any ideas as to how the herbs could have caused such a problem. The only possibility I can think of is that my stomach was sensitive to the particular combination and there was some sort of physical damage.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Can you think of any mechanism by which herbs could have caused gastroparesis that didn't resolve after discontinuing the herbs?

Thanks!

I have no idea but I do know that herbs and supplements as well as spices can sometimes cause problems.You really have to know what you are doing.

Have you tried adding 1/2 cup of beans to each meal?The bulk and fiber may help get things moving.Also green leaf lettuce with eacn meal helps to promote better digestion which also gets things moving.Try those two things and let us know how it worked.
12-23-2012 07:55 AM
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Herbs Caused Gastroparesis?
(12-22-2012 05:42 PM)ijijij Wrote:  Hi James,

Thanks!

I cannot see anything in what you were taking that could have caused gastroparesis. More likely the problem resulted from long term H. pylori infection since the bacteria secretes ammonia to neutralize stomach acid. A lack of stomach acid interferes with the absorption of the nutrients required to produce more stomach acid thereby lowering stomach acidity even more. In order for the stomach to empty properly there has to be sufficient stomach acidity for the contents to be released in to the intestines.

Have you tried raw apple cider vinegar with your meals to up the stomach acidity?

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
02-01-2013 11:53 PM