Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Depression- supplements not necessarily helping
ObeyTheSloth Offline

Depression- supplements not necessarily helping
Hi James,

My girlfriend has had depression for much of her life, and the cause is difficult to pinpoint. There are ups and downs, with much of this summer and fall being the best months of her life, and the last couple of months among some of the worst. It's not really related to the seasons, however.

She eats whole grain brown/wild rice, soymilk, tofu, fish, seaweeds, all manner of vegetables, and fruit, with some meat on occasion. Fats include fish oil, rice bran oil, red palm oil, and some organic whole milk and butter every once in a while. Some yogurt and kefir. She cooks almost everything she eats and typically follows a traditional Korean diet with very little caffeine and little sugar. She does yoga daily, writes/plays music on various instruments, reads, and tries to lead a stress-free lifestyle, and is otherwise extremely healthy. She used to have issues with her liver (hepatitis in Korea) and life-long acne, which are both gone now, and her acne has not come back despite the depression. It used to come at these moments before. It probably stopped due to your Live-R-ight formula.

Her supplements are the following, and she takes them without fail:

Adrenal Tonic
Live-R-ight
TMG (4.5 grams in split doses)
Planetary Herbals St John's Wort Emotional Balance (St John's Wort + anti-depressant Chinese formula Xiao yao wan)
Planetary Herbals Bupleurum Calmative Compound (Bupleurum + Xiao yao wan)
Now Foods Mood Support (Holy Basil, 5-HTP, GABA, Taurine, L-Theanine, St. John's Wort)
Tyrosine
Blue Vervain (for 2 months)
Zinc
Vitamin E
Vitamin D
Selenium
Vitamin B Complex (which also includes PABA, Choline, Inositol, and a moderate dose of synthetic Vit. C)

It appears the most important things have been covered. Hormones are kept in check via diet, liver formula, b vitamins, and TMG; all neurotransmitters are being supported; there are calmatives such as GABA, plus GABA-raising ashwagandha, and various amino acids.

Although she's been feeling better in the past month or so, much of this has to do with leaving a stressful job, as she's transitioning into something else. She's been taking these supplements for months, and her only real improvement came with quitting that job. In the summer, when she was working on a volunteer basis teaching music to children, there was no hint of depression or anything else at all.

Depression manifests in feelings of guilt and worthlessness, punctuated by times of extreme sadness (often inexplicable to her and to others, that is, without a trigger she can point to), anxiety/fear, uncertainty, and lack of motivation. Yet, despite these handicaps, she's able to do quite a bit, whether it's exercise, cooking, reading, and working- although on some days it's obviously much harder. Other days, she's more or less OK. She receives acupuncture and has received other energetics, too, both from me and professionals. She also uses an SAD light a couple of times per day that psychologists sometimes use for depression.

I strongly suspect that once she finds a job she really enjoys again, this will not be much of a problem, but, in the meantime, I'm wondering if there is an imbalance somewhere that can be worked on, or even psychological exercises to build resiliency to things that typically don't affect most people as much as they affect her. These supplements are very comprehensive and so I doubt it's an issue with one of the areas the supplements already hit.

She has no symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Thank you,
Alex.
01-03-2013 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
teenee65 Offline

RE: Depression- supplements not necessarily helping
Hi Alex,
I came to check to see if James was frequenting the board this morning and saw your post. I am sorry I don't have wisdom like James on herbs and physical ailments but your girlfriend's story was similar to my own and I thought I'd mention what helped me just in case. Hopefully James will take a look when he can and offer his thoughts. Like your girlfriend, I was doing all the supplements and yet still an imbalance. And like you, I started thinking about other things like the psychological aspects. Some of the situations in my life couldn't be changed so that made me frustrated enough to look deeper. I didn't want to be controlled by situations. I want to be the type of person, that no matter what situation, be it job, or relationship or whatever, my health will not be disrupted. I started looking into the spiritual aspect and how it relates to health and depression, etc. I found answers there. I am not very good at effectively communicating some of these things but I came across this pastor's teachings that made a whole lot of sense. Here is a teaching of his on depression. He has helped me tremendously over the last few months and I hope your girlfriend is able to get some answers as well. Honestly, since I started looking into the spiritual aspect, my health and frame of mind etc. have improved more than i could have imagined. Not sure if you can "pm" on this board but feel free if I can help in any way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gozvsnq49J8
My best to you.
01-04-2013 07:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply